Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Monday, January 21st, 2013 – The Day One Dive In


Let’s run through today’s emotions: nervous, excited, enthusiastic, anxious…and I expect that these emotions will continue on throughout the semester. I woke up this morning in my own bed, in my own room, with lots of privacy. I went for a quick run, showered, got ready, and did some last minute packing. Of course, I knew exactly what I had to pack because it was all spelled out in lists on my desk at home. Driving into New York City was one of the most nerve-racking car rides of my life. All of the “what-ifs” ran through my head. What if no one likes me? What if everyone is smarter than me? What if this is a mistake? Blah blah blah.

My parents and I dropped my stuff off at the Vanderbilt YMCA and ate lunch in the lobby of the UN Plaza Hotel. I then went to the YMCA to meet the other members of my program. I walked into a group of people who were all smiling and friendly, and I felt a little more comfortable. I’m sure everyone was just as nervous as me.

After a few handshakes and introductions that I probably won’t remember, it was time for a few icebreakers. After about a half an hour, we walked over to the opening reception where my parents met me again, and we were introduced to all of the faculty and staff that are going to work with us this semester as well as an overview of the program. We then had to say goodbye to our parents and come back together to dive in to the program. I’m very proud of my parents for being so supportive and encouraging!!

We watched a video of a Martin Luther King Jr. speech (fitting, because today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day), and discussed it after. He talked about the irony of black and white soldiers from the U.S. going off to fight side-by-side in Vietnam to solve their problems when we have a ton of problems here that we should be fixing. This feeds into the current debate of spending tons of money on military interventions to solve “other” country’s problems when we could be spending money on domestic issues. It was a great discussion and a great tie-in to why we are studying these important themes.

We then met as a group to eat pizza and discussed what we are excited and scared about for the program, and it was great to hear people start to open up. This ended around 8PM, and then had the rest of the night off. A group of us decided to go on a tram that goes across the city. It was free and a great view of the city night sky.

Excited for tomorrow. This post was super long…I hope I can have this motivation for the duration of the trip!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment