Tuesday, February 26, 2013

February 25th, 2013 – Riding Solo


Had a lecture on politics and development in the morning, and then another about culture and society after. We talked about global health and I actually knew something for once so that was grand. Then Persis (our Ahmedabad coordinator) told me that she contacted her friend who owns a beauty salon and set up a meeting for me…not to get my hair cut or anything, but so that I could interview them about weddings. So, after class, I went with a few friends to the mall for a hot second and then took a rickshaw on my own to this place for the interview. This was scary for two reasons. One, I was alone. And two, I had no idea where this place was. The rickshaw drivers only know landmarks, so Persis gave me a list of landmarks that I could tell the driver, and then I would just have to get out at the landmark and find this random apartment building and go to the third floor.

Well…I did it! Ahmedabad is a lot less scary than Delhi. I took a rickshaw and found the building pretty easily. I had to ask a bunch of people, but they were all friendly. And then I walked up the eerie stairs to the third floor and conducted my interview. It was great. I took a rickshaw home after alone and felt on top of the world.

We ate dinner at the hostel. They made us a typical Bengali-style meal. Delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment