Tuesday, February 26, 2013

February 26th, 2013 – India is like a sizzler…


Had two lectures this morning – urban planning & sustainable environments and politics and development. Then we had lunch at the school, but instead of cooking the food like every other day, they decided to give us dominos and ice cream. Yum. So many people were out though because of food poisoning and various other ailments. Scared that will soon happen to me.

After lunch, we decided to walk around a shopping street. I was super hot and tired so I was kind of out of it the whole time. Then, I hung out with two of the translators and interviewed people on the street for a project. The project is about the causes of poverty, so we need to interview people who live below the poverty line and ask them about their experiences. Easier said than done. How do you ask people, essentially, “why are you poor?”

I decided to talk to street vendors. They were very willing to talk and share their stories, and as I interviewed them, many (I’m talking MANY) people surrounded me and talked too. Some people blamed the government, some blamed the poor themselves. It was so interesting, and such an amazing experience that I have never had before. One of the people I interviewed is 24 and married to an 18 year old. I met her and their two kids. She got married to him at age 15.

After, we came back to the hostel and all went out for dinner because it is one of our friend’s birthdays. Some people got sizzlers, but I just got rice. Then we went out for ice cream after…duhhhh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment