Friday, March 15, 2013

March 13th, 2013 – Where’s the Soap?


Woke up after only sleeping 6 hours…the birthday party last night didn’t end until like 12:30 and we had to wake up at 6 to shower and get ready. Took a shower, ate lots and lots of bread for breakfast, and then went to school. Has a wolof lesson, then a debrief about our trip to Goree Island, and then had a lecture on Islam in Senegal. After that we broke up into groups for a religious site visit. I went to a Divinity Mosque that was on a beach facing the ocean. So beautiful. We couldn’t go in, but we saw outside and I put my feet in the water for the first time since I’ve been here.

To get back to school, which is where I needed to go because I wanted to check my email and our school has wifi, we had to take a CarRapid. Car Rapids are really colorful buses that are filled with people. If you want to get off you have to bang on the side of the door. There are no direct bus routes. They just kind of drive around and people bang when they want to get off. Super fun. We did it though, and banged our way back to school.

At school I did some work, sent some emails, etc. Then Ana and I walked home. We ate dinner with the family, except it was more awkward than yesterday because no one was here who spoke any English. But mama did must up enough English to tell us that Henriette (the 6 year old) lost soap down the toilet. Except I am secretly the one who dropped the soap in the toilet. There is no seat on the toilet so everything always just falls in. So an entire bar of soap fell in on day one. And now other people are getting blamed for my clumsiness. Cool. Fitting in just fine.

I’m so tired today from staying up late last night. Hopefully will be more awake tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment