Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Monday, March 25th, 2013 – Matzah in the Land of Bread


I walked over to our school in the morning to do work where I knew I would have internet. I got there right after breakfast, and stayed pretty much all day. In the morning I called the Embassy to see if I could attend a Seder. They said that it would be slightly complicated, but they would try their best. We had to send in copies of our passports, along with lots of contact information of who to call to confirm our identities. This process took a few hours to complete, and was pretty stressful. But it all ended up working out, and we were confirmed to go and given instructions on how to get there, what to bring with us, etc.

The rest of the day, or whatever was left of it, I tried to respond to emails, post blogs, and maximize my Internet capabilities. At around 4 I walked back home to shower and get ready for the seder. We took a taxi to get there by 7:30, and our taxi got extremely lost along the way. The place was a few blocks away and easily walk able, but we thought we would get lost and that a taxi was the best option. WRONG. Good thing we left really early and somehow managed to get there on time. We pulled up to an insanely beautiful apartment complex that didn’t fit in with its surroundings. We had to go through security when we got there before going in.

The seder was at a diplomat’s house. The ambassador is back home for the holiday. All of the people who work at the Israeli embassy were there, and were all very friendly. The seder was Sephardic, which was very interesting. And the Haggadot were Hebrew on one side and French on the other. Very cool. It wasn’t a long service, and the food was so delicious. I have never been more excited to eat matzah in my life. I would say that it was one of the best religious experiences of my life, and I am so happy that it worked out. Just a handful of Jewish people having a seder in Africa. Insane to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment