Friday, March 15, 2013

March 14th, 2013 – My French Teacher is a 6 Year Old


Normal morning routine: shower, breakfast, walk to class. Then had a culture and society lecture where we talked about Negritude, which is a really interesting topic to look at while in Senegal. Then we had a snack…thank GOODNESS. We eat breakfast at like 7am and then don’t eat lunch until around 2 or 3pm, and I am so hangry (hungry + angry) that I can’t function properly. So the snack was great. Guess what it was…?? BREAD. Surprise!

Then we had Neighborhood Day. I went with 5 other people and a translator to Le Plateau, which is where a lot of government officials and the president live. There are a ton of businesses, restaurants, and shops there. I felt like I was in Midtown, except in a much nicer city with more greenery and the ocean like 5 feet away. I ate a quiche for lunch and then had ice cream…once again, so French.

We got back around 6pm, went to visit another student’s house that lives around the corner, and then came home. I attempted to do work before dinner, but our little 6 year old host sister decided to teach us French instead. Priorities. Ana and I would draw a picture and say “qu’est-ce que c’est,” and Henriette would say it in French and we would teach it to her in English and Spanish. It was a great system.

Dinner was delicious as always. Pasta and bread. What could be better? In Senegal, the definition of beauty is not stick skinny like it is in the US. Plump is beautiful because it is a sign that you can feed yourself. Pretty sure I’m going to live up to those beauty standards with all these delicious carbs… 

No comments:

Post a Comment